(Originally posted 2009-04-26.)
Here’s another “For Beginners” post to encourage people to just leap in and try it…
So here’s what I did…
- Downloaded the Rhino package to my PC from here.
- Unpacked it on my PC using a Zip tool (in my case 7-Zip).
- Tested it out on my PC – just to get comfortable with how it worked (and that was well worth the half an hour it took).
- FTP’ed binary the included js.jar file to an HFS file (in my case /u//rhino/js.jar). The file was under 1MB in size.
- Adjusted my CLASSPATH to point additionally to js.jar (including js.jar explicitly, not just the directory it was in).
- Invoked Rhino in interactive mode:
- Quit by typing “quit()”
As always, if you know better please feel free to comment here. Remember, I’m learning as I go, and I just want to encourage others to try a few things.